99% Invisible Podcast, Episode 308: Curb Cuts
- an excellent, concise history of Ed Roberts, the Berkeley disability rights movement, curb cuts, and the birth of the Centers for Independent Living, up to the passage of the ADA.
Comedy Central's Drunk History, Judy Heumann Fights for People with Disabilities
- a very amusing and admiring retelling of Judy Heumann's disability rights activism concentrating on the the Section 504 sit-in.
- [Summary from Netflix] In the early 1970s, teenagers with disabilities faced a future shaped by isolation, discrimination and institutionalization. Camp Jened, a ramshackle camp "for the handicapped" in the Catskills, exploded those confines. Jened was their freewheeling Utopia, a place with summertime sports, smoking and makeout sessions awaiting everyone, and campers who felt fulfilled as human beings. Their bonds endured as they migrated West to Berkeley, California - a promised land for a growing and diverse disability community - where friends from Camp Jened realized that disruption and unity might secure life-changing accessibility for millions. Watch Crip Camp on Netlfix
Selected U.S. Disability Laws
United States Code. The Americans with Disabilities Act, 1990.
The Architectural Barriers Act of 1968
Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973
Air Carrier Access Act of 1986 [original text]U.S. Department of Transportation resource page on Aviation Consumer Protection and Disability, including the Airline Passengers with Disabilities Bill of Rights, July 2022.
Selected International Laws & Treaties
United Nations Office of the High Commission for Human Rights. Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities, 2008.
European Commission. European Accessibility Act, 2019.
European Commission. Union of Equality: Strategy for the Rights of Persons with Disabilities 2021-2030, 2021.
Selected Databases and Research Tools
US Access Board -The Access Board is an independent federal agency that promotes equality for people with disabilities through leadership in accessible design and the development of accessibility guidelines and standards.
- The ADA National Network provides information, guidance and training on how to implement the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
AskJAN (Job Accommodation Network)
- resources on workplace accommodations, technical assistance, and answers to employment questions
Disability Rights Education and Defense Fund (DREDF)'s International Disability Rights Laws Database
- this links to the UNCRPD reports from state parties to the treaty
WHO MiNDbank Country Resources (World Health Organization MiNDbank: More Inclusiveness Needed in Disability and Development)